At Lion Brewery Co, we aim to brew exceptional beer for the world — literally. We have big dreams and goals as a company, and these include doing what we can to keep our planet healthy.
Lion Brewery Co Leads the Way Towards Carbon Negative Beer
Our Reforestation Partnership with Greensteps
Since March 2021, we are planting a tree for every Lion Brewery Co keg bought in Singapore to offset the carbon emissions produced in our supply chain. This means that every pint of Lion Brewery Co beer that you drink in your favourite bars and restaurants in Singapore is carbon negative.
This is possible through our partnership with Greensteps Group, who are focused on reforestation efforts globally using geo-tagging, traceable technology, with a particular focus on rewilding Southeast Asia. Currently, we are working with them to plant indigenous trees in the Borneo and Kalimantan rainforests, and mangroves in Sumatra.
Our ingredients & processes
We’ve put a lot of time and effort into researching the very finest ingredients and brewing methods, which are not only tastier, but better for both you and the environment.
- Grain/Barley Partners: Swaen, GM-free from Belgium.
- Water: Natural, non-chemically treated water, triple filtered (through gravel, sand and charcoal) and UV treated.
- Non pasteurisation: Our beers are unpasteurised to preserve flavour, as well as all those healthy yeasts and enzymes. The water and energy this saves is also a bonus.
- Paper Labels (SG): We made the switch from plastic labels to paper a long time ago, in order to reduce our plastic footprint; the labels may come off if they get wet, but frankly neither we nor the environment care much about that issue of aesthetics!
- Plant-based Labels (UK): Our labels in the UK are made entirely of plant-based material instead of plastic.
Crafting a culture of sustainability
We are passionate about the great outdoors, and supporting the future of our planet. We take care to use our resources wisely, embed environmental values in our employee training, and dedicate both time and resources to supporting causes that we believe in. Some of these are listed below:
- Seven Clean Seas, a beach clean up social enterprise.
- Avani, replacing plastic with solutions made from renewables.
- World Wildlife Fund (WWF), global leader in conservation and protection of endangered species.
- The Dorsal Effect, providing alternative employment and income sources to shark fishermen in the region.
We are not perfect, but are always striving to be better.
If you have a solution or think you know another way we can become more sustainable, we would love to hear from you.